Saturday, January 28, 2012

Update...

I have been super busy this year and just haven't had time to put anything on the blog - not to mention, we haven't been doing anything blog-worthy.

Nevertheless, here's a brief update of what we've been doing...

  • I have been working on one proposal after another at work and it doesn't look like the end is in sight... at least not for another couple weeks! They have been great learning experiences, but it's starting to a take a toll on me. I have worked the past two weekends (even though my job is nonprofit and I'm only supposed to work 40 hours a week) in an attempt to get things done in a timely manner. I was hoping to have this weekend off, but, sadly, that is not going to happen. Oh well, maybe next weekend?! I just feel bad for Bobby as, sadly, I have been neglecting him. He has been absolutely wonderful, though, and I'm so blessed to have him here with me!!
  • I started teaching at Barnard College and I love it! The girls are absolutely wonderful (it's an all girls college) and so sweet and my TA is fabulous!!! I am so blessed to have the opportunity to work there. Sadly I haven't been my normal teacher-self lately because I've been soooooo busy with work that I haven't had time for lesson planning but I'm hoping to get ahead in my lesson planning this weekend (I hope, I hope, I hope!).
I had to change rooms and I now teach in this beautiful "new" building on campus. I love it!

  • We joined a gym! I have been waking up early to work out before work. Although 4:45 sometimes comes too early, I love it! I feel better throughout the day. (In fact, I wasn't able to go yesterday or today and I am suffering!) The gym membership is a little expensive, but we love the gym locations, we love the people, the environment, the locker rooms, everything, so, at least for now, it's worth it. Working out in the mornings has definitely helped my sanity while these last few weeks at work have been uber-crazy!

  • Finally, it turns out I'm old... or at least, my knees are old.  After a few years of dealing with the pain, I finally went to the knee doctor. I had a feeling my knees hurt as a result of the surgeries I had over ten years ago, but I wanted to see if the doctor could do anything and I wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong. I took some x-rays and then we met the PA. Most of the x-rays look okay, but one looked wrong! They had a picture of what it should look like next to mine, kind of like the one below (bent knee, looking at it like from the shin), and mind doesn't look like this one! See the gap below the patella. Yeah, mine's like a blur, and you don't really see a gap at all. Also, see how the patella is nicely resting in the knee? Mine is like hanging over the side as if it's trying to escape (hanging over to the outside - which makes sense because that's where I have pain). The PA said it looks like I have arthritis on both patellas (my knees are old!). I had an MRI on my left knee today and will have the one for the right knee in a couple weeks. Then we'll meet with the Dr to see what the next steps are. I have full faith in this doctor (seriously, you should see all the patents and awards in his office!!!) and I have a peace about all of this even though I have no idea what's going to happen. I'm hoping that working out will help me lose weight and I hope that will help my knees. The PA also wrote a script for an anti-inflammatory so I've started taking those in the hopes that it might help reduce the swelling that is pretty constant. More than that, well, we just have to be patient I guess.