Sunday, January 01, 2012

Christmas Week

Bobby and I decided to stay in town for the holidays and we were blessed with visits from my mom and Aunt Mary. My mom stayed until New Years but Mary had to leave on Wednesday. Bobby and I had a wonderful time with our visitors!

After picking my mom up at LGA on Monday, we met Mary at Rare Bar & Grill. I saw it on the OpenTable app on my phone - it was near our apartment and was open on Christmas and had good reviews so we figured we'd give it a try. We were all pleasantly surprised with the size of the restaurant and with the delicious food. We may have to go back again - maybe for steak next time!

On Monday and Tuesday, we went window shopping, saw some sites, visited the crowds at Macy's, went to Eataly, walked through Grand Central, and saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

While walking around Bryant Park, we saw this bus where everyone sits in stadium seating facing one side of the bus.

First floor (of eight!) of Macy's - it was a zoo!!

One of Macy's beautiful window displays!!


Standing in the new Apple store in Grand Central (it's big!) overlooking the main area - there were a lot of people!!

Beautifully decorated upside down tree in the market at Grand Central Terminal.

The beautiful Post Office building (it reminds me of the buildings in DC).

Madison Square Garden

The beautiful Empire State Building (to the right is Madison Square Garden).
This movie was weird but good - I'm reading the book now and it's also weird but so far so good (it's just a unique writing style that's fast and random and catches you off guard).
Also, on Monday night we ate dinner at our Italian restaurant, Il Violino, and then saw Billy Elliot on Broadway (thanks Aunt Mary!!). Such a great play!!!



After Mary left, we spent the remaining week days running some errands (thanks, mom, for the aerator for my kitchen sink!), exploring sites such as Bryant Park and the High Line, and in general, just walking around and enjoying the city. My mom and I saw Hugo (there wasn't an empty seat in the theater!) and the three of us saw We Bought a Zoo. We ate some yummy hamburgers and some more italian food, and my mom and I might have spent some mornings talking over Starbucks drinks!

Some flowers are already in bloom on the High Line - I think they were confused by the warm weather we had this week.


Cute family friendly movie!! Very sweet story!!!
I love this movie - and I LOVED the book!


We enjoyed spending the holidays in the city and we especially enjoyed spending time with our visitors!!

No comments: