Friday, August 12, 2011

We have a home!

On Thursday afternoon I signed a lease! It took a few days to get approved, and there were some negotiations that took place about how much money we would pay up front, but eventually I was able to sign on the line!  We still are not sure when we will get to move in, but at least I know that in the near future we will have a home and that's good to know. I do not have pictures yet but once I get some I will post them.

Yesterday was also the day that Bobby put in his two weeks notice. We are both very sad that he is leaving this great job where he works with some great people, but this is what is best for our family right now.  He will work for a couple more weeks and then take some time to pack up his apartment and move to the city.  This is going to be a hard couple of weeks for him as he says good-bye to the "family" he has had for the last four years.

This was my first week at work and I loved it! My coworkers are all very very nice people and I am so blessed that I get to work at this wonderful company.  They were patient with me this week (I kept having to leave to deal with apartment stuff), provided advice about living in the city and working at the job, and made me feel incredibly welcome.  We had a happy hour on Wednesday night at a gorgeous rooftop bar. It had a great view of downtown Manhattan!  This week I get to sit at a desk that has a view of the Empire State Building! It's amazing and breathtaking!

I had a couple random "aha" moments this week.  Let me preface this by saying that this is my first real office job (I was an intern last summer and I used to help my mom out at her job at a heart doctor's office but they weren't the same as this full time job). Anyway, on Tuesday, I was sitting at my desk and I looked around and everyone was just sitting at their desk and working. A few people were chatting a little, but everyone was just working. I don't know why, I just found it interesting. If you watched West Wing, the scene I immediately thought of was when Ainsley is convincing Sam to change his position on something, she does it, they talk to Leo, and then Leo goes to the president while they return to Sam's office.  Ainsley is befuddled that she went from talking to Sam in a little conversation to now having the president do what she wants and Sam says something like "We move quickly around here, you gotta keep up." Not sure why, but that's how I felt on Tuesday.

This week we have had beautiful weather so I have been getting off the subway at Grand Central but instead of transferring to a downtown train to go to work (the train takes me within a block or so of work), I decided to walk the ten or so blocks to work. It has been great!! One night I walked from work to Times Square (which is where my train starts) because it was such a gorgeous evening and I just felt a strong urge to explore.  Anyway, yesterday when I was walking into Grand Central, it hit me - I work in NYC! Every time I visit NY or when I was living here before, I always saw those people walking quickly to wherever they were going while dressed up and either wearing fancy shoes or comfy walking shoes. Anyway, I always thought that it would be neat to be one of those people and now I am one. I'm not sure why it didn't hit me until Thursday, but oh well.

The other highlight of this week? My mom sent me beautiful flowers on my first day of work. Aren't they pretty?!


(I know this may not be the most exciting post, but for now all I have for you are boring updates.  Hopefully in a few weeks my life will get more exciting and Bobby and I will take pictures of our NY adventures.)

Smile: I am so excited to spend a day in Manhattan tomorrow walking around, window shopping, and maybe even enjoying a movie (The Help).

Frown: My ears pop when I go into Manhattan (my hotel isn't in Manhattan) and my ears pop when I go up and down the elevator at work (we work on the 21st floor). Sadly, I think all this popping is starting to get to my ears because they hurt.  Hopefully they'll get used to it soon - or hopefully moving to Manhattan in a few weeks will help!

No comments: