Sunday, August 07, 2011

Apartment Hunting Update

This week I began the process of looking for an apartment in New York.  I was definitely freaking out about this process and I was very nervous about finding a place for "us" by myself and I knew I'd be sending Bobby a ton of texts and phone calls and I felt bad (I know he wouldn't have minded, I just knew it'd get old while he was at work).  Well, I woke up on Wednesday and much to my surprise, Bobby was at the door of my hotel room! He surprised me and came to visit this week to help me look for an apartment! He was supposed to arrive Tuesday night but he had a LONG day of traveling and flight changes and weather delays so he didn't arrive in Newark until early Wednesday.

After he got to my hotel, he took a little nap, and then we headed into the city to meet our broker.  We arrived, filled out paperwork, and were pleasantly greeted by Ary.  We liked him right away. We told him our criteria and what we were looking for, and an hour or so later we were out looking at a couple places with another broker (this firm has a hierarchy of brokers where some are "showers" and some are "showers and lookers" - Ary is both so sometimes he will go out with us and sometimes he'll send someone else out with us).  Let's just say we were not at all impressed with those places! They were in a horrible neighborhood that I would not feel safe in and the places were not up to my criteria of "clean".  We called Ary, he said to come back at 5 (when the website gets updated with new places), so we parted ways with the broker we were with and we went to enjoy the city for a few hours. That evening we saw a couple more places with that same broker and although the neighborhood was better and the apartments were a little better, it still wasn't the location we wanted and it still wasn't the apartment we wanted.  Honestly, Bobby and I went back to the hotel that night feeling very defeated, feeling like we weren't being heard, feeling like we had made wrong decisions, etc. We just felt awful!

The next morning we went back to see Ary and were determined to give him another chance.  He apologized for the day before, we realized we had all gotten the wrong impression, and we were all dedicated to finding the ONE that day. Ary spent a little while looking up places on his computer and then sent us out with another broker. Bobby and I really liked this new broker (we liked the one from the day before, but we really liked this one)! And the places and neighborhoods were much better as well! In fact, we really liked the second place we saw. It had two loft areas (which made us nervous about climbing into them but we loved the extra storage) and we decided we'd try to get it. We went back to see Ary, filled out a ton of paperwork, and said our prayers. Ary wanted us to come back at 5 to see more places (just in case the earlier one didn't work out) so we again left for the afternoon to enjoy the city and then returned at 5. This time Ary was able to take us out. We loved getting to know him even better while we were out looking for a place.  And we LOVED the first apartment we saw! And then we loved the second one. We tried to see a third, but the keys didn't work (a common problem) and we decided it wasn't meant to be. We immediately returned to the office and filled out paperwork to try to get into the first apartment we saw that night (and we canceled our paperwork for the apartment we saw in the morning). 

On Friday we went back to see Ary to finish filling out paperwork and we spent the rest of the day enjoying the city.  It was a busy day filled with answering emails and contacting my dad to get paperwork from him (he and Wendy are our guarantor's or co-signers). At the end of the day we realized we had done all we could and it was time to wait. We won't know anything until at least Monday.

Bobby and I thoroughly enjoyed our week in the city! We ate some great food at Dallas BBQ in Times Square, we walked to see a lot of places - some new to us and some old, we enjoyed seeing a few movies together, and overall we just enjoyed hanging out together in a city that we love.  It was a great (and super busy) week!

Tomorrow is my first day of work and I'm a little nervous! Hopefully a busy first day will keep my mind off of the fact that we're waiting to hear about an apartment we love!

This is going to be a busy month filled with new adventures and new experiences! Lots of decisions need to be made. I'm nervous and excited about the prospects and I hope to soak up and enjoy the ride.

No comments: