Thursday, July 21, 2011

I got a Job!!

Before I get to the job information, I want to update you on my progress at school ... I'm done! Officially I do not graduate until August 8 (there is no ceremony) but I successfully defended my dissertation to committee and then I deposited my dissertation to the university. I do not have my diploma yet, but I have completed all of the requirements. I now have a PhD in Educational Psychology - crazy!!!

I have been relatively silent about my job hunt process. After discussing at great length my interview at UGA, I realized it was hard to come back to the blog and state that I did not get that great job. Well, I have now been offered and accepted a position that I am thrilled about so I am ready to provide details for those of you who are curious...

Back in March when I was looking for a job, I saw that a company in New York City was hiring. I emailed the person and inquired about the job and was informed that they were already interviewing candidates, but I could email them my resume just in case their interviews weren't successful. Sadly, a couple weeks later I was informed that they did hire someone but they would keep my info on file (which to me meant "you'll never hear from us again").

In May (I think - time is becoming a blur) I was somewhat in talks with Illinois to teach a few courses for them (full time) next year. During this process, I got an email from the company in NYC and they stated that they were hiring again and was I interested. At the time, I wasn't certain how things were working out at Illinois, so I said I was still on the job hunt. I emailed my resume again, they called me the next week for a phone interview, and a week or so later I was in New York for an in-person interview. After my interview, I had a phone interview with the president of the company and I had to submit additional information.

After all of that (approximately a week ago), I hadn't heard from the company in awhile, and I had received an official offer from Illinois so I was beginning to think that I would be taking the Illinois job. Although Illinois would be a good job, I really liked the people I met in NYC, I liked the company, I liked their purpose, and I just overall got a great feeling when I was there so I was pretty sad that I'd be working in Illinois instead of NYC. This week I started preparing my syllabi and lessons for the Illinois job (even though I hadn't officially accepted it yet, I was still holding out a little bit of hope for NYC, I still decided to begin working on stuff for the job) and began making plans for the fall. Then yesterday I got a great phone call - NYC was emailing me an offer! I couldn't believe it!! I called Bobby and I think he was in even more shock!

The company is the Council for Aid to Education (CAE). They are a non-profit organization that started in 1952 to conduct policy research on higher education. Today they are also interested in high-cognitive assessments (think open-ended questions that are more involved than simply asking "what is 2+2"). They are interested in assessing the quality of undergraduate education and they are focused on improving the quality and access in higher education. The assessment aspect of the company is relatively new and as a result, for awhile they only had one researcher. This past spring they hired one more and now they are hiring me. It's a small company (only about 15 to 20 full time employees) and I think it will be a great fit for me! Plus it's in NYC - a place that Bobby and I have been anxious to return to ever since we left four years ago.

Bobby is not moving to NYC with me right now. He has a great job and we are hesitant for him to quit it to get to New York and be unemployed. We are hoping and praying that he will get a job offer and be able to join me sometime this year.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I start this job on August 8th! I have moments where I am absolutely freaking out but I am confident that the details will all work out, that I will find a place to live, that my stuff will all get packed up and moved on time, and that I will be in NYC ready to start working on August 8.

Smile: In a few weeks, I will be employed with a real job. This is the first time I've actually gone on a job hunt process (both of my teaching jobs were quick hiring processes) and I feel very humbled that the process was rewarded with this great job opportunity!

No comments: