Friday, June 11, 2010

The Happy Hour Gathering





















Last night we, the 25 interns and I, all attended our first weekly Thursday night Happy Hour. Previous interns have informed us that these happy hour gatherings are a great way to really get to know one another away from work and since our futures are pretty much all based on networking and getting a job is based on who you know, what better way to start up a strong network than to really get to know 25 interns from across the world!

This week we chose to go to Chevy's Fresh Mex where I happily obliged in eating some chips and salsa and chili con queso (sadly, no one at my end of the table ate the queso with me - maybe next time...). The queso had a little kick to it but it was not bad at all!

Sadly, I forgot my camera at the condo so these are all iphone pictures and they were pretty much taken in a hurry at the end of the night (you know, in one of those "oh no! I wanted to take pictures but I forgot" moments). Next week I'll try to be a better blogger photographer!

The waitress kindly split up the bill for all of us so at this point the two on the right were ripping up the long bill so that we could each see what our individual bills were.

This is the other end of the table from where I was sitting.

Again, sorry for the picture quality, but perhaps it just gives you an idea of the students that I'm interning with this summer.

This was my end of the table - two Chinese students (one from Duke and one from Columbia University, MO), one Korean student (from Iowa State), and a girl from Arizona State (originally from Mexico City).

Not everyone attended this week's happy hour gathering (one wasn't feeling well and one had a deadline for a personal research paper) but the turnout was definitely more than we thought it would be so it was a very nice evening!

Smile: Yay for making friends in new places!

Extra Smile: Some of us are starting to plan out where we will go for weekend adventures... we're considering DC, NYC, perhaps Amish country in PA, maybe (but this is a huge maybe) Niagra Falls. Do you have any other ideas??? A couple of the students are international (one is from Belgium and one is from Germany) so we want to make sure they get to see the "big hits" in this area of the US.

No comments: