- The iphone isn't perfect but it sure is wonderful on a roadtrip! One night on the road it put Applebee's on one corner instead of the other corner and it totally failed in the attempt to find our hotel on Saturday, but overall the map application (my absolute favorite) came in super handy for finding hotels, Starbucks', restaurants, and just for finding our way in general! The Weather Channel app was also helpful to keep an eye out for storms. And yay to my mom for learning how to use these two apps this week! (And she also learned how to use the Words with Friends app!)
- Before getting to the train for my return trip from Newark, I was informed that I didn't need to buy a separate ticket to get from the airport to the Newark train station - my mom and I had bought one on our way to the airport since we saw others buying them but I guess they hadn't bought the right tickets in the first place and we did so oh well for that $11 mistake!! But if I have to go back to Newark Airport I will now know what to do!!
- We have to hold our badges up to a reader pad type thing (not sure what they're called) to get in and out of buildings (if we don't scan in and we then do scan out the alarms buzz because we shouldn't have been in that building) and I'm getting such in the habit of doing it (there are a lot of buildings on the property so I'm swiping my ID a lot) that when I enter and leave the building for my condo (the condo door is inside and upstairs) I feel a need to swipe in order to get in and out! Yup! I'm the crazy girl swiping instead of using the condo key!
- I was early to pick up my carpooler this morning so I drove around a little and found a gas station so I decided to stop (I was at a quarter of a tank so why not?!). I pulled into the station and immediately a guy came over and took off the gas cap and walked to my drivers door and started talking to me! I was soooooo scared! I didn't see any signs for full-service and I couldn't understand this guy (either due to his accent or my nerves) but I finally figured out he wanted to know how much gas I wanted. I got my gas, and he cleaned my windows, I paid my bill and left. I thought perhaps it was just that gas station but nope, the entire state is full-service so I guess I need to get used to it! I just feel so awkward being waited on like that! Plus, do I need to tip???
- In Michigan we had a Michigan left turn, which was code for a U-turn (you had to go through the light, make a U-turn and then make a right onto the street you wanted to be on). Well, here in NJ they have a whole new type of left turn... the signs read "All turns from right lane" which means before the intersection if you want to make a left or a U-turn, you pull into the right lane, and then you like drive into a half-moon thing and come out on the intersecting street, but on the other side of the intersection, so then you have to either go straight (which is where you'd end up with an original left-turn) or you can make a left (which would be an original U-turn). Yup! It's as crazy as it sounds! The problem is it isn't consistent on all streets so sometimes you need the right lane and sometimes the left! And it really does a number on me and I have trouble remembering in which direction I'm traveling!!
Here's a cut-out of a map to illustrate this last point. Say we're going from A south and we want to make a left on Denow to get to B, well, we can't make a left... First you veer to the right, probably stop at a stop sign (or sometimes it's just a yield sign) and make a left onto Denow, wait for the light and then proceed straight through the light to head down Denow. That other loop you see, the white loop, that's for making a left turn when you're going north on that yellow road - first you go through the light, then you make the loop and then you take a right on Denow and proceed through that light. Doesn't that sound like fun?!!!!Smile: Yay for life's lessons... I'm sure I'll learn even more this summer and I'll try to remember to tell you about them!
Frown: I am enjoying my time here, but I wish Bobby were here to learn these lessons with me! One day, one day this will all pay off.... right?!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment