Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Test Day

I LOVE test day!!! More specifically, I love giving tests!

I know this is strange since I really don't like taking tests (I tend to freak out and overthink every question on the test), but there's just something about giving tests that I enjoy. I love that I get to grade the tests to see what the students understand and don't understand and see what methods they use to solve the problems. I also love how entertaining students are during test time! Here are just a few examples. (Sidenote: The test started at 8 but I let students come anytime after 7 in case they wanted a headstart - I don't care about time limits, I just want them to finish. If students sign up at least 48 hours in advance, they can go to a "conflict" exam from 1 to 3 pm instead.)
  • I got an email at 6:30 in the morning from a student. She informed me that she wouldn't be coming to the 8 am exam because she had to be on time to her 9 am class and she wanted to be able to spend as much time as possible on her exam. And she thanked me for understanding. Yup! That was the email! Nothing was said about when she hoped to take the exam, she just wanted to let me know she wouldn't be there to take it. Nice, right?! (Follow-up: She showed up at the 1 pm conflict exam.)
  • A student arrived at 8:35 and was panicked and was about to cry! As I was talking to her out in the hall (I had Erin proctor - don't worry, I didn't leave my kids alone!), another student came sprinting up the hallway. Neither of the girls could breathe - I think they each sprinted from their dorms. Poor things thought I wasn't going to let them take the test. (Follow-up: I let them meet me at my office at 9:10 to test.)
  • A student emailed me at 8:10 am saying he had just woken up and obviously wouldn't make it to the test on time so he asked what he should do. I said he could come into my office at any time before 1 or he could take the conflict test. He replied and said "Actually, it would work out better for me if I could just take it tomorrow." Yup! I can't make this stuff up! He added that "beggars can't be choosers" so he understood if I didn't want him to take it the next day. I simply replied "See you at 1 at the conflict exam." He showed up.
The majority of this test involved solving equations, so I'm not sure if grading will be as entertaining as it sometimes is, but I'll let you know if I come across anything!

Smile: Did I mention I love test day???

No comments: