Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tests

This semester I have only ONE test!! For a person who does not like tests, this is a dream come true!! And the test is this Wednesday - so I don't even have to wait until May to get it over with! The bad news is, as much as I like the professor, I do not get along with his tests at all so I'm very very nervous about Wednesday's test and thus, I may be hiding for the next few days!

So far this weekend I have successfully procrastinated studying for my test by grading my students' exams from last Wednesday. As part of my class, I post online surveys that students can choose to anonymously answer to get bonus points on their exams (I see that the survey was submitted but I don't see their individualized answers) and then I sometimes use the surveys as examples in class or as questions on the test. Well, I'm not creative, so I've run out of survey questions but I'd like to do at least one more survey this semester so on this test I asked students if they had any ideas. Since I wasn't giving them credit for making suggestions, I was nervous that I wouldn't get any ideas. Instead, I now have three pages of a WIDE variety of ideas for questions!! I thought I would share some of them with you:
  1. How many shoes do you own? I had a few people suggest this question!
  2. What coffee do you prefer - Starbucks or Espresso Royale (the campus coffee shop with many locations on campus)? I, of course, say Starbucks - but I do go to ER on $2 latte Wednesdays!
  3. What is your favorite baseball team - White Sox or Cubs? Around here, those are the only two teams and it's an intense rivalry!
  4. Is your home town out of state, in Chicago, or somewhere else in Illinois? Yes, they specified Chicago! That's because 98% (I made that up) of the people here are from Chicago!! We should just call Champaign "Chicago Part 2"!
  5. Since you started college, have you read a book for pleasure? I personally wish I was better at this! How does Elaine do it?
  6. How much time did you spend studying for this test? This might be interesting (well, for me at least).
  7. What was your favorite Power Ranger? I never watched this show so I don't even know how to prepare this question (I have to make survey questions multiple choice and I don't know the possible answers.) Perhaps this question won't make it on a survey?
  8. Do you prefer beer or hard liquor or neither? I'll be the first to say I know nothing about alcoholic beverages, so I'll have to get someone to help me write this question (i.e. Are there any other options or should I leave the question as is?)
  9. Have you ever gone to class intoxicated? I intend to specify this and ask if they've ever come to MY class intoxicated! So far, I think a couple students have!
Do you have any other ideas???

Smile: Yay for FINALLY feeling better! I'm still not 100%, but today was the first day I was actually able to go work out!!

Frown: Both my poor Illini and the Bears did not win today! (I know I didn't go to Baylor, but Belton is close to Waco and I like rooting for them on behalf of my fabulous friends that are Baylor alums!)

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I like the blog layout (not sure how long you've had it)! And those survey questions are fun. You'll have to tell us which ones you end up using.

And I only managed to read a book or maybe two each semester in law school...and usually that happened during holidays. I only have time now that I'm not studying every spare minute!