Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Writing

In case you don't know, my classmate Nathan and I are writing "Incomplete Notes" to accompany a new textbook we're going to start using for the basic Statistics class we're each teaching. I'm currently using a similar set of notes (written by THE basic Statistics professor at U of I) and I love how easy it makes teaching - the notes are all there for you, not much preparation is needed for class, and it makes it really easy for new PhD students to start teaching the course. So now that we are using a new book (written by both one of my co-advisors and another professor), we have their permission to write an accompanying set of class notes.

I have been at my desk since about 6:45 this morning. My number one goal for today is to write the notes for Chapter 4. There are only five sections (though one section is quite long) so I figured I'd be able to get through at least one section by 9 and perhaps two or three sections by the end of the day. It is now 8:20 and I have managed to read the first section a few times, but I have not been able to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, I suppose)!

I have never been a good writer! I hate introductions, I despise conclusions, and I just rarely feel satisfied with the body of work. Even though I do have a book to follow, writing these notes is reminding me a lot of writing a paper! I have trouble starting each chapter, and I have trouble ending the chapter, and the body just kind of works itself out, but I don't know that I'm completely happy with what is written.

I've always admired how some people are able to sit down and write beautiful papers, or essays, or even blogs with a great ease!! Karen, my amazing sister, has always been able to write essays (whether for a test or a project or whatever) and make it look effortless and easy (well, except for that phase of her life where she refused to include periods in her sentences, but even then the writing was good - the reader just had to guess where to pause)! And I still remember (sorry for putting you on the spot) the basic outline of one of Elaine's high schools speeches (it was a speech, right? or something for debate) about redheads! Elaine's writing hooks you from the beginning and you just want to keep reading! And again, she makes it appear effortless!!

Writing is the one thing that really scares me about getting a PhD (well, now the qualification is a little scary, too!) and all along I've been hoping that one day I, too, will be able to write as others can! Sadly, that day is not today!!

Until that day comes, I suppose I will just keep trying (what other choice do I have) and I will keep reading the works of others, hopeful that one day I will be able to write like them!!

Frown: I'm definitely out of ideas for mini-meals or snacks for during the day! Since I eat breakfast before 6, I'm starving by 9, but then I'm at school until 5 or 6 and I'm up until 10 so I can't eat an early lunch or I'll wind up eating dinner at 4! I've been bringing home-made trail mix (really, it's just five types of cereal and a few M&Ms) as an afternoon snack, but I'm still hungry throughout the day! I prefer eating four or five mini-meals throughout the day, I think it helps me keep my energy and it's helping my weight loss, but I'm running out of ideas on what is nutritious, easy to bring and keep at school, and will give me energy and keep me full!! What do I usually resort to? Starbucks of course!! :) I've been spending way too much money there - but it give me energy (yay for caffeine) and the frappuccinos (or smoothies - my new love) keep me full for a few hours! Too bad money doesn't grow on trees and too bad the drinks aren't cheap!!

Smile: The weather here is fabulous! It's in the 50s in the morning when I leave, and it's in the low 70s, high 60s when I head home!! It's perfect weather for a little walk - especially a little walk down to Starbucks! :) I love this time of year!!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

You are a good writer! I always enjoy your blogs ( : Although maybe that isn't the same as writing notes for a text book? Usually if I'm having trouble getting started, I write the middle first and then somehow the introduction comes together later after I have written whatever I am introducing.

I do have a secratary, but she isn't just mine - she works for a shareholder and another associate (who is on maternity leave right now). She's really nice, but I haven't figured out yet what exactly I can give her to do!

And sometimes I do have 3 cups of coffee, but I try to make myself space it out so that I have something to look forward to. I like peanutbutter crackers as a snack (but make sure to compare labels bc one brand is much healthier)...they fill you up bc they have protein.