Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Countdown to Spring Break

I apologize for the delay in posting, but I've been busy and nothing too exciting has happened. Here's a brief update if you're interested.

My job in Gatesville is already quite fun and rewarding. The students in both classes are excited about the opportunity to have me again over the summer and I'm excited that they all enjoy my teaching that much! I'm currently signed up to teach four classes in Gatesville over the summer, but most likely not all of them will have the required 8 people so I may only get to teach one or two.

The job at Temple High School has both good days and bad. My coworkers are nice and the students can be nice - they would just prefer to talk to their friends for the entire period. Oh well.

The online class starts in a couple weeks so I have recently started looking over the website and thinking about what needs to be added and/or changed. Luckily the class starts at the end of my Spring Break so I can spend the beginning of break working on the website full time if needed.

A couple weeks ago I made the journey up to Dallas and stayed with Julia. It was wonderful to see her again - hopefully I didn't wear her our with stories and venting!! I was also able to eat lunch and spend some time with Jacqueline and her mom - hopefully I'll get to see her again before she moves to Boston. After seeing Jacqueline, Julia was gracious and joined me as we visited my mom's friend Caroline. It has been forever since I last saw her so it was really nice to catch up on how the families are doing!!

Yesterday I attended a conference for local mathematics teachers! I went with a couple of my coworkers and overall had a really great time! The keynote speaker spoke at Teachers College last year and I really enjoyed her talk last year and yesterday - she has great things to say about the current state of education, but also is very aware of what is going on in the classrooms (something that surprisingly is not always the case). Later this week I get to attend a conference about Inclusion with some other coworkers (from other departments at the school - i.e. Special Ed). This conference is in Austin and I get to miss two days of work as a result - hopefully my kids will be good for the sub!!

I'm currently writing tests and a review for my high school classes, then I'll work some more on online class stuff, maybe finish coding (research from Teachers College) and work on stuff for Gatesville classes. This is the story of my life as of late - working on grading, or writing tests, or writing worksheets for my various classes - but maybe something exciting and/or noteworthy will happen and it won't take over a month for me to write again!

Smile: I get to work as the sun is rising and it's a beautiful sight to see every morning!

Frown: I had a biopsy done on my face (the spot above my eye if you've seen me recently). Bobby said they took about half of it and it's deeper than he would have thought - I haven't had the guts to look yet (hopefully that's not vain of me to say) - but starting later this week I don't have to wear a bandaid anymore and I'll have to face my face!!! Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

Jacqueline Platt said...

Whatever Julie, you are the least vain person I have ever met!! And it was sooooo wonderful to see you. And I am so sorry I talked your ear off the other night. It was so wonderful to just chat and get your input and I can honestly tell you until your visit when you commented that me and Elaine tried to protect you from things, you were, I wouldn't have had that conversation with you. But your insight was wonderful and I want you to be that outspoken oh and on that note, what we talked about, read my blog, it will give you some more insight into that whole thing and there's more, we will have to talk soon! Keep me posted on the teaching this summer! That's awesome that you got to do that. Hope to hear more about your wonderful life soon!! :)