Friday, January 12, 2007

Professor Patterson

Two weeks into the new year and already I've done away with a resolution - don't take on too much and learn to relax! Sadly, this is not a surprise.

This week I was hired to teach Geometry at Temple High School. I'm thoroughly excited about the position and I like the teachers I'm working with - I've only met the kids briefly so the jury's still out on them. The high school is different from Belton, but I think it will be a great experience and I'm happy to have a great paying job (as compared to other job opportunities)while trying to save money this semester.

Next week I begin teaching two nights a week in Gatesville for Central Texas College. This will make for very long Wednesdays and Thursdays, but I'm looking forward to teaching Algebra (it's basically what I taught at Belton High School - just a different age group with adults now instead of high schoolers) and Statistics (my new passion so yay for this). Now I just have to hope that these classes have enough students so that all my preparation for these classes isn't a waste (I need at least 8 students, and last week I only had 6 in Statistics). Also for CTC, I start teaching an online class in March, College Algebra. It's a two month class and it's part of the online army education program so I think it will be an interesting experience!

I'm excited about these teaching opportunities because they're all so different and I think I'll learn a lot from the experiences!! Also, I'm excited to be back teaching again - I enjoyed being a student but definitely missed teaching!!!! And the best news?! Both CTC and Temple High School (well, my department head - I'll try to talk to the principal next week) have okayed my leaving for a few days in April to go to the AERA conference in Chicago!!

Smile: Yay for winter weather!!!

Frown: Yay for jobs - but boo for having to wait at least a month for paychecks!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Wow you are going to be busy!! Can't wait to hear how everything goes. And thanks for letting me know about GG. Can't wait!!