Monday, February 06, 2006

Today Bobby and I were going to try and run some errands, and then we realized it was going to be too much work! Walking down Broadway we were facing a HUGE wind and it was such a workout just to go five short blocks! It was unbelievable!!! So we shortened our To Do List and simply went to the grocery store. We bought some yummy vegetables and other healthy food because we are going to try to start eating healthy - on a budget, mind you!

In other news, I went and saw the TA tonight from my Statistics course and there were already people in to see him, so I simply sat and listened. While doing this, I answered my own question and realized I went for nothing, but stayed anyway to finish my homework just in case I came up with additional questions. The lady sitting next to me was having a lot of trouble understanding what was going on (too many people talking at the same time to the TA) so I stayed after the TA left to help her. Do you know where this is leading?! She asked if I could tutor her for like an hour each week. Now, I'm supposed to charge $50 for the people in the Statistics class that I took last semester, but I've taken that class, passed it, and am confident in it. For this class I'm in now I'm still working on gaining confidence so I don't feel it's right to charge that amount (plus, I'm in the class, so I could be wrong about stuff since I'm learning as well) so this lady asked how much I charge and I didn't know what to say! How awful am I?! I know I should be ready with a price, but I wasn't. We're going to talk more about it later, and it might end up being more than just her, so it'd be more of a group tutoring, so maybe I should charge differently if it's a group?! I don't have time to think about this!! Meanwhile, I'm struggling in a couple other classes, but I'm meeting with my friend Bill so he can help me with one class, and I don't have a friend in the other class - so tomorrow when I go to class I am going to make a friend that I can study with - hopefully people will be willing and able to do this. My other classes are going well. I guess I'm lucky that I have some basics, some difficult, and some in between... they can't all be easy, right?!

Bobby and I didn't do anything too exciting for our six month (can you call it an anniversary?!) yesterday - he slept most of the day, then we watched the SuperBowl (Seahawks lost it! But I'm glad the Steelers coach now has a championship) and I did some work. In other words, it was a typical day at the Patterson apartment. Six month is not as exciting as year, so in six more months hopefully we'll be able to treat ourselves to a nice meal or something!

Smile: Okay, I'm addicted to yogurt and granola! I wake up and cannot wait to eat it for breakfast!
Frown: We want to see "Wicked" and it's booked - except when I'm in class at night!! :(
Extra Frown: My pointer finger (is that what it's called?! Next to my thumb) on my right hand hurts. The only thing I can think of is overuse - I use it when moving the mouse, and when clicking on things, and I might put extra stress on it when writing. Is it normal for it to twitch randomly but semi frequently?! :)

3 comments:

Elaine said...

My friend Kristina tutors too for high school and college kids. She charges each kid who comes the same price even when its a group tutor. I think it's reasonable to knock down your price a bit (maybe $30?) for the class that you haven't taken before. And maybe when its a group, you could charge a slightly reduced rate (like $40? or $30). Don't cut the price in half because then you'd be making the same as if its one person, even though you're helping two. Anyway, thats my two cents.

Also, skip class and go see Wicked!!! You can afford one skip...and you'll enjoy it that much more!!

Anonymous said...

well i don't know about your finger... but last week my left hand was twitching about 2 inches below my pinky... it would just randomly start... go for a while... then stop again... it kinda felt cool, but sometimes it would go for a long time and then it got annoying!

Karen said...

I was told in my Nutrition class that twitching is cause by stress! Mabye for someone who is trying to tutor all of Columbia plus take 6 Masters courses, plus not even have time to see 1 play could know something about stress?!

I say take the new tutoring only if you have time, charge the 1 person 40 and the group 30 a piece (only if the group is for the class your currently in, if not charge then 50 like you should be!)