Friday, February 10, 2006

Dumb Out of Print Book!

So for the past few weeks I have been anxiously awaiting a book for one of my classes. The book is out of print, so the school bookstore cannot get it, and thus my class (all twenty or so of us) had to go online to find it! I found one at Amazon that was supposedly in good condition (which is a big thing for me - I don't want a premarked book, I want to mark it up myself) and it was supposed to be here sometime this week (three weeks after I ordered it). So today I check my email and I have a letter from the seller (not Amazon, the company that was selling it through Amazon) and they LOST MY ORDER and only recently found it and they no longer have the book I need!!! I'm getting my money back, but now I'm without a book and I'm upset (perhaps unrightly)! Today I spent over an hour trying to find this book! Amazon has one copy, but it's $100 and it's damaged so I was determined to find it somewhere else because I think that price is outrageous for a damaged book! I could not find this book anywhere, so I googled it and abebooks came up and said they had it in good condition for $82. Then it says that most of their stuff ships ground in 2 days - but shipping this book ground will take 7 to 21 days! That means I could be without a book for two months total! So I paid the extra $10 (sorry mom and dad) to hopefully get it within a week (which is still cheaper than the Amazon book)! My teacher has nicely been copying the pages we need in the book but by now most of my classmates have their books so he's going to stop! Not to mention, I feel so behind in the class already, I just want the security of at least having a book to consult!! Okay, I'm done venting (for now), thanks for listening (or reading, rather). Hopefully this book will be here soon and I will no longer have to worry about it!!

Smile: We're supposed to get snow tomorrow! The downside - it's supposed to be blizzardlike conditions! Not that I'm going outside anyway - way too much homework to do - but "blizzardlike" just doesn't sound safe.
Frown: For the teacher who I'm sure is brilliant (some of the theorems in the book are named after him) and yet he cannot find a book for the class that is still in print!!!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Don't worry about blizzard like. You dont have a car there so you don't have to drive. The worst that happens during a blizzard is blackouts, so if they are saying it is suppose to be really bad that is the only thing to really be concerned with.