Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Not So Typical New Yorker

I got a call the other day saying my bridesmaid dress had arrived at David's Bridal and I needed to go pick it up. This phone call went against my plans - I wanted to go get the dress over Spring Break when I had more free time. However, I only had two weeks to go get the dress, and next weekend I'm studying for midterms, so Bobby (what a nice guy) and I went today to Davids Bridal in Queens to pick up this dress. So on the way, we see that on the other side of the tracks there is construction and Bobby starts to wonder how we're going to get home - I casually reply that I'm sure the train people have a solution. So we picked up the dress (which took twenty minutes!! because it was a crazy place today) and then we headed back to the subway station. Sure enough, Bobby was right, the train back to Manhattan wasn't running where we were!!!! So we walked a couple blocks to see if it was running through that station, and it wasn't. Now luckily, we had been following this guy from the first subway station to the second (he seemed to know where he was going) and then he said that station was closed and asked us if we had an alternate plan. I said no, we just want to get to Manhattan and we don't really know our way around Queens. This guy said he was taking a cab to the next subway line and offered to share a cab with us so we went, he seemed trustworthy enough (luckily we were right). Bobby whispered he only had $5 so I was silently praying the entire way that the subway station wasn't too far away. It wasn't! The cab fare was $6 (the guy only paid $1, we said we didn't mind paying for most of it because he helped us out big time!!!) and then the guy showed us where the N train was, made sure we got onto the right side of the tracks and then we were home free!!! We took the N into Manhattan, transfered at 42nd and made it home safely on the 1!! So yay for this guy, a not so typical New Yorker, who kept us from being stranded in Queens and helped us get home safely!! Oh, the kicker to all this, Bobby had to go to the bathroom on our way out to Queens, there was nowhere to use a restroom in Queens, and he was starting to get extra worried about how long it would take us to get home! Luckily it was him that needed to use the restroom and not me, I don't think I could have held it that long!!!

Smile: The Harry Potter DVD comes out in a week and a half!!
Frown: I am highly unmotivated to do anything today!! Perhaps it is because I finally got enough sleep (11 hours! That's unbelievable for me).

1 comment:

the deharts said...

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that we love your blog and read it all of the time...gotta keep up with my Bob!!

We also joined the blogging world..

http://deharts.blogspot.com

Check us out and take care!! Those snow pictures were awesome...wish we had some of that here...

Love you guys!
BIG D