Tuesday, June 04, 2013

My New Job

I lost my full-time job this past March, due to company downsizing. While the perfectionist in me was (and still is, to some extent) frustrated about losing my job, I think it was actually a huge blessing in disguise because I decided to use this employment break as an opportunity to get into higher education full time, which I might not have been brave enough to do (at this point in time) if I had not lost my job.

And I am thrilled to report that I got a job! Starting in a couple weeks (assuming I pass the background check, etc.), I will be working as an Online Mentor on the Quantitative Analysis team for the College of Business at Western Governors University. In short, I will be working with undergraduate and graduate students in the business college who are taking "statistics" courses. During the interview process I "met" (virtually) some of my team members as well as my boss and I am very excited to join the Quantitative Analysis team!

(http://www.wgu.edu/)

In addition to being excited about the team I'll be working with, I am also excited to work for this university! My impression so far is that the focus at the university is first and foremost the students and student learning, which I think is wonderful. Also, this is not a traditional online university, which I think is another wonderful aspect. For example, everything is based on "competencies" instead of courses, so the organization of the required coursework at WGU is different from what is required at other universities. After I've worked there for a few weeks and understand the system even better, I will do a blog post about my "daily schedule".

Although I will be working as an Online Mentor for an online university, so my job is primarily online and I can work from home, we are moving. We have decided to move to the Seattle area and will be living with my mom. The Quantitative Analysis team lacked a mentor that lives on the west coast so this move is beneficial for the job. We are sad to be leaving New York City, but are excited for the adventure that awaits us in Seattle! We are also looking forward to spending some time with my mom, my dad and Wendy, and my extended family.

Finally, I just have to say that Bobby has been absolutely amazing these last few months! There have been some definite highs and lows and he helped me through all of it. He encouraged me to pursue my "dream job" instead of settling for temporary jobs that I came across, even though it meant packing up and leaving the city. In short, I am very very very lucky to have him for my husband!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Yay!! Congratulations on the new job and the exciting move to Seattle! Sounds like everything is working out perfectly ( :