Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Break Update

It has been a LONG time since my last update... sorry! Life has been crazy and mundane at the same time so I haven't had time to update and I don't know what to say... This may be boring, but at least it's an update so that counts for something, right?!

PhD Update
I successfully completed my Preliminary Defense on March 9th. For the Prelim, I presented my research (what I have done so far and what I hope to do for my final defense) to my dissertation committee (my two advisers and two Ed Psych professors). It took under two hours, but I probably only spent forty minutes presenting and the rest of the time was spent answering questions or having somewhat random conversations with my committee.

The next step of my PhD process is the final defense that I will do sometime this summer. Prior to that defense, I have some things I need to clean up with my prior research (some things that were brought up in my Prelim presentation that I need to look into so that my committee's questions can be answered) and then I have some new things I need to work on (simulations pertaining to a new model). Once these items are done (hopefully by the end of May), I will finish writing my dissertation and conduct my presentation prior to July 14 (the deadline for August graduation). It is finally hitting me that I'm actually graduating this summer and I'm almost done - a scary and crazy thought!!

Job Update
I am still waiting to see what my future holds for the job situation. I recently received a nice email from Georgia. They have offered the position to someone else and should know by the end of next week whether that person will accept or reject the offer. In other words, I have not been told no, and if the person rejects the offer I may be offered the position. We will just have to wait and see.

This past week I applied for a position at Pearson (testing center) in Austin. They called me for a screening interview (approximately 15 minutes) this week and then after that interview they called me and said they'd like me to come interview for a day next week. The interview process is similar to what I experienced in Georgia. I will spend most of the day in 30 minute one-on-one meetings with employees and I will also give an hour presentation or Job Talk (40 minute presentation, 20 minute Q and A). The presentation will be similar to what I did in Georgia, but it will be a little different since the audience is a little different.

Spring Break
I am thoroughly enjoying my Spring Breaks. Since I'm not taking classes this semester, I was able to come down to Texas early to spend time with Bobby during his Spring Break (he's taking a night class so it is his Spring Break, but he still had to work) and I'll stay through my Spring Break (which is working out for my job interview). Bobby was able to take off a few days from work so that has been very nice. This past week we went to dinner with some friends from college and this weekend we're traveling to Dallas and Houston area to see some other friends. I'm very excited that I get to catch up with my friends while also spending time with Bobby! Today we had a lot of fun sleeping in, enjoying the day, and seeing Lincoln Lawyer. A great relaxing day that I think we both needed!

I have also gotten to spend some time with my adorable nephew, Jack (Patrick - Bobby's brother - and Jenny's six month old). I got to see him try food (oatmeal) for the first time and it was so much fun to see!



I hope you all enjoyed this brief update! I will let you know if and when I find out anything about my jobs (or about where we will be in six months).

Smile: Yay for trying "new" things... Bobby recently bought an XBox and all he owns are "boy" games that are too hard for me to play so today we bought a Sonic the Hedgehog game for me to play... yup, I stink at it!!! I haven't played Sonic since we lived in Michigan and I'm as bad now as I was then - but it was fun!

Frown: Spring Break is flying by!

No comments: