Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sorry!

My apologies for being absent from the blog world! Here are some updates....

  • Christmas was great! It was nice being able to watch Jack "open" his gifts with all of us (Pat, Ted, Bob, Anna, Bobby, me, Patrick, Jenny) there!
  • Bob and Anna took Bobby and I to Houston to see Illinois vs Baylor at the Texas Bowl! It was soooo fun!
  • On New Years Eve, Bobby and I hung out with some of my college girlfriends and their spouses! So nice to see my college girls!
  • Bobby and I have had a cold for a few weeks. I think Bobby is feeling much better, I'm feeling better but nowhere near 100% yet.
  • I hoped to travel to Dallas and San Antonio to visit some friends but sadly due to my cold I was unable to make the trips! Hopefully I will make it north and south during my next extended trip to Texas. Bobby and I were able to hang out with my friend Cacey and her husband Jason at a yummy TexMex place in Austin last week and we had a lot of fun!
  • I have been spending a lot of quality time with my precious nephew, Jack! I've been able to see him a couple times a week and have truly enjoyed getting to see him grow over the past month.
  • My goal this break was to get a lot of writing and reading done. Sadly, due to my cold, I haven't gotten as much done as I would like. While it's good I'm resting, this means that I will be working hard over the next month to prepare for my Preliminary Defense in the middle of February. When I do have the energy to write, I get caught up in reading articles and have trouble putting them down long enough to write. I'm really struggling with the decision of when enough reading is enough! I feel like reading research articles is a long, vicious cycle because after each article I think "ooh! I should read the article that they referenced" and I just keep reading with no end in sight! Someone help me stop! :)
  • I did manage to reread the first five Harry Potter books! I'm sad I didn't finish all seven, but maybe I'll have time later this year before the final movie.
  • Bobby started taking grad classes last night. He hasn't chosen a major yet, so he's taking a couple general ed type courses. I'm so happy for him and so proud of him!
  • Bobby is taking tomorrow (Friday) off so we get to spend a three day weekend together! It has been soooo nice being with him for five weeks, but I know saying good bye will be awful - the longer we're together the harder the good-bye!
  • Bobby and I saw some great movies over break! We recently saw The King's Speech and I LOVED it!
  • Bobby and I tried a new Mexican restaurant on the creek in downtown Belton and instantly fell in love! The mixed grill fajitas are delicious! I love that they come with corn and flour tortillas, and I love that there are several hunks of green pepper! So good and not too expensive, either! We have been there at least once a week!
  • I was hoping to apply to several jobs over break, but I'm not finding a lot of jobs that just scream "Apply for me!" (Anyone know someone that needs a person with an Ed Psych, Stats, and Math Ed background???) I did spend a few hours this weekend working on my teaching philosophy and research statement for a tenure-track teaching position so at least I applied to one job over break (although 1 job in 5 weeks is not the record I'm going for).
I will try to do a post with pictures in the next week or so, but I'm not going to guarantee anything - right now writing my Prelim (and finding a job) is more of a priority, sorry!

Smile: Yay for a long weekend with my hubby!

Frown: Boo for not finishing my writing and reading! It's my own fault and I have no excuses, it's just the way it is, and I wouldn't go back and change anything. I guess my lack of progress will simply be my motivation to work my butt off next week!

No comments: