1. My lined and knitted mitten gloves! I honestly don't remember who bought me these or where I got them, but they're wonderful! They are warm and toasty because they are lined and like mittens, but I can wear them and still open zippers and drive, etc., like you can with gloves! Perfect!!!
2. My Illini winter coat! Bobby bought it for me my first year here and it is wonderfully warm!
3. My new Dr. Marten boots! Bobby bought these for me when he came to visit this past October (my previous boots succumbed to the mold this summer). Although they are not typical "boots", they are perfect for me in this weather and they definitely came in handy this morning when trying to walk to the car on a sheet of ice (and while walking around campus on the sheets of ice and icy brick walkways).

4. My to-go hot drink Starbucks travel mug (or whatever it's called). It keeps beverages warm forever and it doesn't leak so it's easy to hold and carry when also trying to keep up with my mittens, scarves, and other warm weather gear! Sadly, I'm running low on my Refresh tea (so I'm limiting myself to one a day at night) so it's currently full of some other kind of tea, but regardless, the mug is still a necessity so that I can have warm beverages all day no matter where I am on campus!
5. My mom who doesn't mind my 11 pm (9 her time - past both of our bedtimes) phone calls when I'm slightly getting nervous about having to get out of my parking spot at 6 in the morning (I was worried about reversing over the "snow plow bump" - really, I was worried about having to hit the gas pedal in the icy lot). She helped me calm down (I really wasn't freaking out too much - just a little) and reminded me I need to allow some time for the car to warm (these are things I forget about now that I don't have to drive every morning).
In case you're wondering, no, I do not have a car in Champaign. This weekend I went to St. Louis to see my dad and Wendy. We just relaxed and hung out (and I got some grading done) so it was a very nice low-key weekend (that I used to prepare for my not so low-key week ahead). I rented a car to go see them, and it snowed in Champaign on Saturday while I was gone (probably a good few inches) so when I returned on Sunday night I got to experience driving on the icy/snowy roads. Most of the roads were clear (since it hadn't snowed in 24 hours) but the parking lot at my apartment complex is a sheet of ice so you better believe I coasted most of the way into my parking spot! I was a nervous wreck!! Don't worry.... I survived! :) I also survived getting out of the spot this morning! The roads weren't bad this morning either, I just had to get through my icy parking lot and the snow/icy airport driveway and parking lot. Although I survived and it wasn't too bad, I am very thankful that most of the time, on icy/snowy days, I get to ride a bus and don't have to worry about driving.
Smile: The Illini made a bowl! And they're playing Baylor! I'm hoping it's a good game!!
Frown: My research paper is not writing itself! :) I keep hoping I'll turn on my computer and it will be written, but no such luck so far. (This blog post may be an attempt at procrastinating writing!) Guess it's time I sit down and finish it..... or perhaps I should go get some more tea?! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment