Independence Hall - we didn't get to go into the building (we were there at 11 and the next time stamp was after 4) but the outside was pretty :)
The other side of Independence Hall
After walking around the old town part of Philly (i.e. Independence Hall), we got in our car and drove to Fairmount part of Philly - free parking in this area (and it wasn't all parallel!). The first stop was Eastern State Penitentiary - I believe it was the first penitentiary. This was something Andy wanted to do and I honestly wasn't sure about it, but I'm glad we all did it! It was very interesting to see and I loved that everyone got a free audio tour because it meant everyone on the tour was quiet and everyone followed the same path so it was easy to walk through.
Outside the walls.
After visiting the penitentiary, we walked to a delicious italian restaurant, watched some World Cup Soccer, and then headed out to see a little more of the town.
Statue of Joan of Arc After walking around the penitentiary and then walking around Philly for about an hour, we were hot! So Svenja, Tara, and Nele put their feet in the water to cool off (don't worry, there were lots of people playing in this fountain - not sure if you normally can play or if they were just allowing it due to the heat).
After spending enough time in the heat, we headed out of Philly and drove to the DC area. We stayed in a hotel in Silver Spring, MD and despite some issues with the hotel (hotels.com only reserved one of the rooms we paid for, not both, so this caused problems all weekend), it was a nice place to stay. We walked into the main part of the town where the streets were closed to cars and there were people EVERYWHERE! We decided to eat some yummy food at Macaroni Grill and although the waiter was awful, it was a good evening!
On Sunday we woke up early and headed to DC. We had a long day ahead of us and we wanted to make sure we fit everything into our one day in the city.
Tara and Svenja on the red line metro.
The view on the backside of the Lincoln
We tried to see the Library of Congress but it was closed, so Nele, Tara, Andy and I headed to the National Geographic museum (they had a nice Da Vinci display) and then we headed to Starbucks to cool off while Svenja and Carina headed to a museum. After we met up at Starbucks, we tried to decide on where we would sit for the fireworks. Originally we thought perhaps Jefferson or Lincoln, but then, based on the fact that we were tired and some were getting blisters, we chose to just sit near the Washington Monument.
In case you're wondering, this is what the steps of Lincoln look like a few hours before the fireworks begin (the fireworks are done over the reflecting pool at Lincoln)
A fun group picture after the fireworks.
After the fireworks we made the trek back to the metro station and headed back to the hotel (on the crowded metro). At the hotel, I realized what happens when you walk around DC in flip flops on the sidewalk and on the gravel paths....
... you get very very very dirty feet!
Monday morning we decided to go back to DC to see the Library of Congress and the Cemetary. Since it was supposed to be another hot hot day, we chose to go to Arlington Cemetary first and then cool off in the Library.
Ceiling at the Library of Congress
After the Library, we headed back to our hotel to pick up Svenja (due to her blister she was unable to join us in the morning) and then we headed off to Philly to see Svenja and Nele's mentor Rich and his family. They took us to a yummy American Fusion restaurant and his wife showed us around a little park area in their part of Philly. We didn't leave until around ten (and then tried to find a drive-through restaurant to get a drink for the ride home - unsuccessful - and had to get gas - successful) so I didn't get home until Midnight, but it was a great weekend!
Smile: Yay for getting to see my family this weekend at Karen's wedding.
Frown: Boo for Facebook not letting me put up all of my Philly and DC pics (i.e. the pic of Lincoln - don't worry, I did take one, I just don't have it with me at work today so hopefully it will be on Facebook tonight).
Frown: An extra Boo for me overdoing it this weekend and walking sooooo much in the heat that I'm now dealing with swollen ankles and knees. Hopefully I'll be better in time for Karen's wedding, otherwise the photographer and I will talk about how I just need to be in close-ups :) But yay for having a job where I have room to put my feet up at my desk all day!
Smile: An extra yay for getting to listen to 99.5 The Wolf while at work! Pandora doesn't work but Texas Country does!! :) (Although hearing the weather reports and commercials, etc. that pertain to Dallas makes me miss Texas!)
No comments:
Post a Comment