Sunday, April 19, 2009

Testing Randomness

I sat in my office to have office for two days before giving my test Friday morning: I was pretty much there from 9 am to 7 pm (with a few breaks for class and meals) on Wednesday and Thursday. How many of my 220 kids came to office hours? Oh, about six! Plus I had a few students email me, so let's say about 10 students contacted me while preparing for their exam. Why aren't they coming to see me? Well, I can't say for sure, but perhaps it's because I'm WAY too Easy!!! More than half of my 220 students aced this test! Isn't that ridiculous?! I have got to find a way to write harder tests!!

Here are some more random items pertaining to this past week's test that I gave:
  • Three students overslept and walked in approximately 20 or 30 minutes late to my test! Three out of 220 isn't too bad, right? And it is a 9 am class!
  • 40 students were still working when the bell rang (after 50 minutes) so perhaps the test was too long? However, probably about 40 or 50 finished after 30 to 35 minutes! So what does that mean?
  • Only two students needed to borrow a calculator! This is a HUGE improvement from the first test! And only one student needed to borrow a pencil!
Smile: The semester is coming to a close! It's exciting to be working on the last homework assignment of the semester, or the final project, or writing the final test, etc.

Frown: I had hoped to have my class notes (that I use to teach with) edited and updated by the end of the semester. How far am I? I've done chapter 1 ... of eleven! I guess I have a lot to do in order to accomplish that goal!!

No comments: