Today I gave my first test of the semester. This day is always a little nerve-wracking for me because I really want my kids to do well! In addition to those nerves, today was also fun as a result of the following events.
1. It was raining this morning (not pouring, but lightly raining) and the windshield wipers on my bus were not working. As a result, halfway to school our bus pulled over and we got to switch buses. Not a huge event or a big deal, but still, a fun way to start the day.
2. I require my students to bring their student IDs to the test and they have to show me their ID when they turn in their test since there is no way I know all 220 of my students by the first test. So one of my students showed up about 20 minutes early today and quickly came to tell me that she did not have her student ID because she went home last night (her parents live in town) and her dog ate her ID! So then I said "Okay, what about a drivers license?" She then explained that she donated blood on Monday and lost her drivers license at the donation center and hasn't yet had time to get a new one. Seriously?! This is too good to be made up! Oh, and in case you're wondering, to verify that she was who she said she was, I logged onto Facebook and found her and saw that her picture matched. What would we do without technology?!!
3. Before I tell this little story, can I just ask: Is it too much to ask to expect students to have a calculator for a statistics test?? In all fairness, I did mention to my students that I had a couple extra calculators, but I also quickly said that they shouldn't count on using my calculator because someone else may need it. So today a student came in thirty minutes early and said he'd lost his calculator and could he please borrow mine? Then another one came in twenty minutes early and she also did not have a calculator. So there went the two extra calculators I brought with me. Then, as the rest of my students filed in, I discovered that there were at least 15, that's right, at least FIFTEEN!, students (out of 180 - 40 were testing in another room) that didn't have a calculator!!! In case you're wondering, thankfully a couple students had extra calculators and other students stayed after finishing their tests and let others borrow their calculators.
Yup, I've had a terrific test day!!
Smile: My day ended early (2:00) so I got to go home early and I am now relaxing a little bit before Erin comes over tonight to work on homework and watch Top Chef.
Frown: The wind and rain is hurling at my front door right now! Why do all the storms have to come from the west?? (Sorry, Elaine, for complaining! It sounds like you're night with the storm was horrendous!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment