Friday, February 01, 2008

Snow Update

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of this beautiful snow!! My camera broke over Christmas and my other camera is in Texas so I won't get it until I go visit for V-day.

Just in case you're wondering, it is definitely an adventure to get to school when there is approximately 7 to 11 inches of snow on the ground! I left a little early this morning - yup, I was planning ahead and preparing for the worst - and headed to the mall. I opted out of going over the little grass hill because I was unsure of how deep the snow was on the other side of the hill, so instead I went over the dirt path which is usually not as deep. This morning, though, I think the wind was blowing the snow to this area because I took a step and yup, the snow went to mid-shin! I went through this deep snow for a few steps and then made it to the road. The road on the backside of the mall hadn't been fully plowed yet, so I trekked to the mall entrance and did my best to avoid the six or seven plows. Lesson for the day: Plow tracks can sometimes be quite slick! I finally made it to the entrance of the mall and sat and waited for my bus. A few minutes later another guy showed up and then we saw our bus so we stood out on the curb. Then we realized that our bus disappeared - it was sitting behind a huge snow pile - and when it reappeared it didn't even come towards us but instead left the mall! Thankfully the van with a worker from the bus company came by to pick us up and take us to the bus. The bus driver was wonderful and did an excellent job driving in the snow!!

Surprisingly enough I had about 30 kids come to class this morning!! Yay for devoted students!! After my classes, Erin drove us to our apartments to get our stuff for our meeting and then we went to weigh-in, however it was closed!! Oh well! So instead we went to eat lunch at McAlister's before she dropped me off at home. Erin was did a wonderful job driving in the snow and watching her drive definitely taught me some lessons - the big one being I'm not ready to drive in the snow yet and am glad I don't have a car here!!

Now I'm sitting in my recliner, working on teaching prep and typing my notes for class and enjoying a relaxing afternoon. It's no longer snowing, but it's still fun to see the snow everywhere!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Yes, I am not even joking when I say this is the first year since I have been up here where I am comfortable driving in all snowy conditions. It is scary though!