Monday, October 03, 2005

What a Weekend!!

I am happy to report that this apartment is really beginning to look like home. It's not done yet, and I don't know if it will ever be done, but it's good enough for me to not constantly think I need to be doing something to make it better. We put away all the clothes today - well, as many as we could before we ran out of hangers and drawer space. I feel somewhat bad because I have the bigger dresser (today we discovered they are not the same size) and the bigger closet. I am sharing some space in both of them so don't worry, I'm not being a snob! We are still on the hunt for a little table thing to go beside the fridge. We need a workspace for when we are cooking - somewhere besides the kitchen table, that is. We also are trying to decide what to do with our new microwave - our brand new one broke, we think it was because we were stretching the cord, it just barely reached down to the outlet.

This was a very exciting weekend because we received three boxes! We have been getting a lot of boxes since we moved in, thanks to the generosity of Bobby's parents, but this weekend was different - we got items we weren't expecting, and items that weren't clothing and other necessities! On Friday I received a package from 1800flowers.com! I knew Karen was sending a surprise gift, so I thought, "Awww, she sent us flowers!" Then I opened the box and inside was a cute basket and a bunch of apples!!! Now, most people might think this was a strange gift, but I have been unable to find good apples here, and was really beginning to crave them. I knew I had only told my mom about this craving, but I figured maybe she passed it on to Karen. Then, Karen called and said "Nope, not from me." After further examining the package, I noticed it was sent to Robert Patterson and it had his cell phone number on it. The only people that would send a gift to him are his family, and his mom immediately came to mind!! What a wonderful woman!!! And what delicious apples!!! I've been trying to eat them slowly so they will last - but sometimes I splurge and eat a couple! Today I received the fabulous gift from Karen (which I'm realizing she sent to others as well) and I am very excited to go buy a Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino with my gift card, and I've already had a couple Hershey Kisses! Then tonight I got a gift from my mom. I knew it was coming, but it was still quite exciting! She did a cross-stitch for Bobby and I that says "And two shall be as one" and has our names and the wedding date with a cute picture! It's adorable! I'm jealous that she was able to go to Aaron Brothers to frame it - it looks beautiful!! Now I will be able to hang something on the wall other than the clock in the bathroom (it was the only nail left in the wall).

This past week has also been great because we have the wonderful "Magic Bullet!" (have you seen the infomercial?) Bobby's mom bought some and sent us a set and it is wonderful!!! It doesn't take up a lot of space and it is very quick and easy! Plus, it makes a smoothie that is the perfect size - not too big and not too small!! I don't mean to sound like the infomercial, but let me just say it's great!! I get to drink a smoothie every night!! Yummy!!

Yesterday we went and saw "Little Manhattan." It was such a cute movie! Bobby and I both loved it and we laughed a lot!! It's somewhat fascinating to watch a movie that takes place in the city where you reside - I actually recognized some of the scenes in the movie! We hadn't gone to see a movie in awhile, and I'm glad we picked this one to see on Sunday!! There are other movies I want to see, but I can wait for them to come out on video. The next movie I have to see?! Harry Potter - the weekend of my birthday!!! (And then "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"!)

Today I went to the New York Public Library! I have decided that it is simply too costly for me to buy all the books I want to read - especially since you sometimes don't know if the book is good enough to read again! Today I checked out four books - you're allowed thirty for three weeks, but I decided to hold back the first time. I bought "Flowers for Algernon" yesterday at Barnes and Noble (Bobby talked me into it, and it was on sale! not expensive at all) so I started reading it last night and this morning, but I've momentarily put it aside so that I can read the books I just checked out (one of them is due in a week!). Now that the apartment is done, I needed something to turn to when procrastinating studying! First book up - "True Believer" by Nicholas Sparks. I read all his books this summer (except this one, and the last one) and love them! I also got a book by Gregory Maguire. He sounds fascinating, he writes the stories you don't know - like the story of the Wizard of Oz from the perspective of the wicked witch (who is tragically misunderstood). My last two books were Lemony Snicket books 5 and 6. Sounds silly, I know, but they're quick, fun, and easy!! The scary thing today is I didn't bring my cell phone to the library (no big deal, usually, because Bobby had his) and Bobby went to the store next door while I was in the library. When I was finally done (so many books to choose from!) I went into the store next door and could not find him! Then I went back into the library, thinking he was looking for me and he was nowhere to be found!! I then decided to head back to the apartment and when I got outside Bobby walked up - he had been at the apartment looking for me!! He said he had gone to the library and didn't see me so he was equally freaked out! Note to self - carry the cell phone everywhere!! That's what it's for - so people can find you away from home!

I apologize for the long delay in the blog update! Sadly it was not a very exciting week, and I had nothing that I felt was blog worthy. Hopefully this long blog will make up for the lack of writing this week, and I will try to find things to write about every few days!!

No comments: