I love my job at CAE - I love the people, I love the work, I just love it - but I miss teaching. My two coworkers both teach an online class and an in-person class and while I love teaching my online class for CTC, I felt the urge to look for a position teaching an in-person class. I wasn't having much luck finding a job opening and was beginning to think I wouldn't find anything until next fall, and then my coworker, Doris, told me that there was a spot open at her school and it needed to be filled immediately (the former adjunct got a full-time teaching job somewhere else but student's were already registered for the class so they had to find someone else to teach it). Doris emailed the department and said I was interested, I sent my resume, met with the chair of the department for an interview, and I got the job!
I am now an Adjunct Assistant Professor for the Psychology Department at Barnard (Columbia's women's college). I will be teaching introductory statistics and the course will emphasize hypothesis testing. The course meets two days a week and there are two 2-hour lab sessions (each student attends only one). Doris teaches the same course but on different days so she has kindly offered to help me prepare for class and get familiar with Barnard (she has been an adjunct there for nine years).
I am so excited for this opportunity! And I consider myself so blessed that I work in an office where my boss is supportive and encouraging of us and our desires to teach (I have to leave work early two days a week and my boss has no problem with that and in fact, he was quite excited that I found a teaching position).

No comments:
Post a Comment