I do not like the library. I appreciate its importance in life, but it's too quiet for my study habits. When needing books, I always hope to find articles online so that I don't have to look like an idiot when I don't know what library the book is located in (math library, education library, main library) or where the book is located.
That said, I have already been to the library no less than 5 times this week (and the week's not over!) and no less than 10 times in the last two weeks! Lately most of the "papers" I've been needing to read are coming from books. I'll either have to order the book through interlibrary loan or I'll walk to the library to go get it. That said, lately the books I've been wanting have all been in different locations (one in the math library, one in the education library, one in the west side of the main library and one in the east side of the main library) so I'm getting quite familiar with the campus library system.
I have learned that the library isn't such a bad place! It's still too quiet for my tastes, but all in all, not bad!
I've learned that I love technology! Not only for the ease of interlibrary requests (that I can place online from home!) but also for the "text messages" of the call numbers (yup! there's a link on the library page that says "text the call number to yourself"! genius!). That makes it soooo easy when looking for a book because I just show my phone to the librarian and she can quickly look it up!
I've learned that the librarians are actually quite friendly!! Yesterday I asked the Education librarian what I should do about this book I want but no school has it (all of the schools in the interlibrary loan all have the book as "out"!). She looked it up, saw the status said something like "in transit", went to the shelf, and there it was!! I've been looking for it since last May and it has been on the shelf since August! (I guess it wasn't checked back in properly or something!) Good thing I wasn't too scared to ask or I'd still be trying to get this book!
I've learned that sometimes the library's have nice services! Not only are the interlibrary loans nice, and not only is it nice that I can have the book delivered to the math library (across the street from my office) instead of the main library (a few blocks from my office), but when needing a book out of the ten story main stacks, they will go get it for you! Awesome!!!
I don't know if you'll find me reading or studying in the library anytime soon, but I definitely don't dread going to get books as much as I used to!
Smile: This week I met with a career counselor on campus! She was absolutely wonderful! She had a lot of good advice and constructive criticism for my CV, resume and cover letter! Now I just hope I can use her advice and find a job!!
Extra Smile: Can't wait to see this sweet face in a couple weeks!! (Thanks, Bob, for sending me the pic!)
No comments:
Post a Comment